Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sleep Training Updates

We have new developments on the sleep training front. We saw some major improvements during our 3 nights of implementing big changes (see entries below) but last night we saw the biggest most amazing results ever!!
My friend from whom I got the original sleep training advice, of whom I will henceforth refer to as: "The sleep training wizard" gave me a gem of new advice.

We had gotten the baby to sleep longer than ever before, but she has been waking up between 2:30-4:00 or so and staying awake for 2 hours. My husband did everything he could do to console her but she just fought hard and long. We did that for 2 nights and then I said she must be hungry, so I brought her into bed at 4:30 one night and gave up...

My friend said that the trick to the late night baby hunger attack is:

As soon as you hear a wimper (anytime from 2am on), go to her (or him) before she wakes herself up. Make no noise, don't talk, Shush, or turn on lights. Just go in with your boob (or bottle) out. Lift the baby to the breast without cuddling, hugging or making noise. Let her nurse for a minute or less, till you hear the gulping stop. Then lay her back down and leave! 

My daughter fussed for a minute or 2 and then went to sleep... Till 6:30am!!! It worked!
The trick is that she got what she wanted: she nursed. But she didn't get enough to fill her tummy and make her wake up every night expecting to eat. This just gave her enough foremilk to satiate her need to nurse and allow her to sleep. Soon, she will skip that feeding altogether.

Just thought I'd share! Best of luck to all those sleeptraining families out there :)

No comments: